Finally got around to working on the fan issue and a few other things a few weeks again, then life got in the way again. So here is where it stands right now.
Before I get on with the slicing and dicing there are a couple of issues that are bugging me…….
1. The wiring the powers the LED feet did a meltdown. Funny thing is the only wires to melt run from the mail to female molex pass thru to where it has been spliced to the wiring for the LEDs. Which seemed a lighter gage than the rest. Logisys hasn’t returned any requests for info. Trying to remove the LEDs from the feet so I can repair the damage but can’t get the lights out of the feet (friction fit).
2. Can’t get the system to pick up the second 250GTS for SLI.
Had several things I wanted to get done…….
1. LED Feet
2. Fan hole in top and bottom
3. Paint and install some fan grills
4. Add filters to bottom and front fans
5. Replace 9700-NT (went to another build) with 8700-NT
6. Do something with the blue faceplate in the Zalman Fan Controller
Here is the order that I needed to get started……..
Under the heading of “best laid plans of mice and men….” was a major fitting issue. The original plan had called for dropping the two optical drives down on to two slots so as to have room for a 120mm fan instead of the originally planned 92mm. However the opticals are the originals from the beginning and are quiet long.
So ended up trashing the CD-Rom drive and keeping the DVD-RW where it was (it fit) and as the faceplate is already painted and didn’t want to invest in another one anyway. Ended up putting the fan controller in the top slot which was the plan. As there are a few outstanding things I haven’t taken any front view pix yet.
On to the top and bottom fan holes. As I didn’t have a hole saw I had to use my dremel and I can’t cut a round hole to save my life. That is why I decided to do the “octagonal” method. Doesn’t look too bad and isn’t too hard. The only thing that didn’t really work that well for me is the fact that the top paint is rather thick and if one looks closely the area around the hole doesn’t look the best. Because both the top and bottom hole were done I didn’t duplicate pictures. One thing, as mentioned before, that I liked about this old case was how far down one can take the chassis easily. Here we have the chassis ready for the laying out and cutting the hole as well as removing the original feet.
First the tape and pin hole(s) laid out, started cutting, finished cut, the filing and grinding (not shown), then mounting the fan. Also for the bottom and front fans I added a couple of filters that are pretty neat as their “frame” is magnetic. http://i34.photobuck...tFanFilter2.jpg
For those areas where the fans may be mounted in plastic an adaptor ring is supplied.