Results 1 to 15 of 49
03-19-2011, 10:38 PM #1Senior Member Achievements:
- Join Date
- Feb 2004
- Democratic People's Bolshevik Republic of Illinois
- Time Online
- 4 Days 15 Hours 46 Minutes 44 Seconds
- Rep Power
1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
How to get Folding @ Home console client working on your AMD 6xxx card
It took me a while to figure out how to get it going on my AMD 6950, but the final implementation is very simple. It just took me a long time getting there.
Quick disclaimer: I did all of this on Windows 7 64-bit. So if you're running anything other than Win 7 64-bit, I can't guarantee success, though I suspect you'll be fine.
1. Download either the v6.41 Windows XP/2003/Vista/7 GPU3 (required for Fermi) no-nonsense console client OR v6.23 Windows XP/2003 GPU2 console client OR v6.23 Windows Vista/7 GPU2 console client. You may go to the High Performance client page directly by clicking here.
2. !!FOR v6.41 ONLY!! -- If you attempt to run the installation file you will get this error: At present your GPU is not supported or you need a current driver. As seen this this picture:
Instead, you must create a shortcut to the v6.41 installation file. Now right-click the shortcut and choose Properties. On the Target line, add the switch -forcegpu ati_r800. As seen in this picture:
Go to Step 4.
3. !!FOR v6.23 ONLY!! Unzip the v6.23 Zip file into a folder. Like v6.41, if you attempt to run the client you'll get the error your GPU is not supported. Instead, you must create a shortcut to the v6.23 executable. Now right-click the shortcut and choose Properties. On the Target line, add the switch -forcegpu ati_r700. As seen in this picture:
4. Execute the edited shortcut and go through the first-time configuration menu. Enjoy!
There is a reason why I used the switch -forcegpu ati_r800 on v6.41 and -forcegpu ati_r700 on v6.23. I spent a *long* time reading the official F@H forums and saw where the maintainer of the F@H switch wiki said ati_r800 is not understood by v6.23, but it is in v6.41. Thus, for v6.23 you need to use the older switch ati_r700.Asus PQ5-E Mobo , MSI Radeon 6950 2GB , Intel Q6600@2.4Ghz , 4 GB RAM
Antec P182 Case , Corsair 750W , Several TB of Storage, Logitech Z-5500
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Scott in forum Distributive ComputingReplies: 9Last Post: 07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
By Scott in forum ContestsReplies: 26Last Post: 04-29-2012, 05:28 AM
By RSS_Poster in forum NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 04-25-2012, 02:42 AM
By Scott in forum Distributive ComputingReplies: 15Last Post: 03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
By RSS_Poster in forum NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 10-06-2011, 08:00 PM